WSJ seeks SEO/headline packaging editors in New York
The Wall Street Journal seeks editors who will be responsible for planning and leading SEO, Headline and Packaging decisions on the Journal’s platforms—including mobile and desktop —to inform, engage and delight our readers.
These editors employ superb news judgment and knowledge of audience data in their decisions. They demonstrate sharp writing and strong editing skills. They understand how to balance the needs of breaking news and enterprise journalism with our subscribers in mind.
These roles require strong knowledge and experience with Google’s search algorithm, speed and proficiency with digital publishing tools, and a strong command of newsroom workflows. Experience with product testing including A/B testing and information architecture as well as a strong background in what has worked well for content reach in newsrooms is essential.
The successful candidate will be adept at reviewing our current practices and recommending changes, helping to implement changes and then working with our bureau chiefs, coverage chiefs and news hubs to spread new practices.
- Exercises superb judgment in packaging and presenting news.
- Demonstrates excellence in editing copy and in digital headline writing.
- Understands how to think differently about breaking news from enterprise and features journalism.
- Recognizes the Journal’s core digital audience and its needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with new audiences and has experience in growth initiatives.
- Familiar with the Journal’s brand, content offering and various digital/print platforms.
- Upholds The Wall Street Journal’s high standards and ethics.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with Google and other search algorithms as well as site hygiene, url practices, tagging, web crawling, AMP pages and mobile and web optimization.
- Experience with a range of SEO software solutions.
- Familiarity with the strengths of different types of media, e.g., text, graphics, share text and captions in packaging decisions.
- Experience in UX thinking to inform the sorts of language and design features that will be most effective in guiding users to engage with content.
- Experience with product testing including A/B testing.
- Comfort with audience data to inform strategy decisions, adjusting as needed.
- Possesses deep knowledge of digital and social-media strategies and publishing tools.
- Command of newsroom publishing tools, metadata and visual storytelling devices.
- Ability and willingness to assist in troubleshooting digital publishing issues.
- General awareness of how our newsroom works and others’ roles and responsibilities.
- Good working knowledge of Adobe Analytics (Omniture)
- An understanding of paywalled content and how Google indexes it to be able to optimize the content and snippet experience.
- Understanding of SEO meta tags for html and taxonomy tags for publishing.
- Work with the Technical SEO manager to:
- Develop best practices within the newsroom
- Meet bi-weekly to discuss new developments and work on strategy
- Problem reporting and solving
To apply, go here.