WSJ seeks AME for training and outreach
The Assistant Managing Editor, Training and Outreach is responsible for all newsroom training initiatives for The Wall Street Journal.
The AME-Training and Outreach will create and oversee the implementation of a broad, long-term training strategy for the newsroom of The Wall Street Journal; will support the larger efforts of the Managing Editor’s Office to ensure that the Journal’s newsroom is diverse, inclusive and welcoming; will work collaboratively across the Managing Editor’s Office and newsroom; will be an ambassador for the Journal’s newsroom; and will work creatively and ambitiously to equip our journalists with the skills they need to excel in their careers and create the exceptional journalism for which The Wall Street Journal is known.
- Create a broad, comprehensive and long-term training strategy and plan for the newsroom. Identify areas of need, then design and oversee the implementation of training programs that address those voids. This strategy should include needs identified during the WSJ2020 project, as well as a new newsroom-management training curriculum.
- Design and oversee the implementation of the newsroom’s program for interns, who are selected by the AME-Talent and Recruiting.
- Work collaboratively with the Dow Jones Training Department to identify which DJ training programs would be beneficial to the newsroom, and contribute to the modification of others that could become so.
- Create recommendations for how the News Department should participate in journalism conferences and oversee the implementation of that program, including goals for participation; a communication plan; selection, training and coordination of our attending journalists. The AME-Training and Outreach will work collaboratively with the AME-Talent and Recruiting on these objectives.
- Support the AME-Talent and Recruiting in her/his efforts to build a first-class college-recruiting program, as well as identify other opportunities to work with institutions of higher learning for training programs.
- Identify or design internal and external training opportunities, fellowships and other programs that could enrich our journalists and our journalism. Oversee the communication of the opportunities to the staff and make recommendations to the Managing Editor on who should participate.
- Ensure that all of our training and outreach initiatives support our goals for an inclusive and diverse newsroom. Identify ways in which our newsroom can improve in these areas through training and outreach.
- Oversee visits by outside groups or individuals interested in news media and the Journal newsroom. Oversee the decision of which groups are appropriate, the level of interaction with our newsroom and their visits.
- Work with the newsroom’s Finance Director to ensure that all initiatives have proper levels of funding and that our training and outreach programs stay within budget.
To apply, go here.