WSJ seeks a senior platform editor
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an editor who will plan and lead programming decisions on our native platforms—including mobile and desktop, email alerts and push notifications—to inform, engage and delight our evening readers. You will work 4 pm to midnight ET.
Senior platform editors use superb news judgment and knowledge of audience data when making lineup and curation decisions, with a keen awareness of the WSJ brand. They demonstrate sharp writing and strong editing skills. They understand how to balance the needs of breaking news and enterprise journalism with our subscribers in mind.
This editor will also help drive the team’s alert strategy, taking a hands-on approach in making calls on which stories to alert, and crafting language for push notifications and email alerts.
This role requires speed and proficiency with digital publishing tools and a strong command of newsroom workflows. It also requires proactiveness when planning for stories in collaboration with various teams and coverage areas.
We’re looking for someone who will be an advocate for the needs of our native platforms and off-platform channels with coverage chiefs and an evangelist for digital storytelling in the newsroom. You will be a key voice in product initiatives for digital platforms and editorial tools.
Senior platform editors assign, direct and supervise the day-to-day work of platform editors, particularly during off hours, and ensure it is of the highest quality, utmost timeliness and high ethical standards. You will participate in training and performance reviews.
You may start this job remotely but eventually will be based in our New York office. You will report to the On-Platform Editor.
- Shape informative and engaging packages on digital home pages and within articles.
- Use superb news judgment to balance breaking news with enterprise and features journalism.
- Edit and write digital headlines, display text, photos, graphics, captions and alerts.
- Use audience data to inform curation and strategy decisions.
- Guide platform editors on the tasks above and foster a team setting that encourages open discussion
- Help troubleshoot digital publishing issues.
- 3+ years of experience working in a newsroom.
- Proven experience as a news editor, with a keen eye for detail and accuracy.
- Command of newsroom publishing tools, metadata and visual storytelling devices.
- Strong design and visual judgment to enhance digital storytelling packages.
- Strong sense of the Journal’s brand, content offering and various digital/print platforms.
To apply, go here.