The Wall Street Journal is seeking an enterprising and accomplished reporter to cover Microsoft and business technology. This role covers some of the biggest companies in the world – also including Oracle and Salesforce, among others – and the ways they are using cloud computing and other technologies to change how people work and do business.
This is an opportunity to help drive marquee coverage for the Journal’s award-winning technology bureau in San Francisco, writing for the premier audience of business readers. Microsoft, one of America’s most valuable companies, is a giant in areas from cloud computing to video games and has been on a years-long acquisition spree as it seeks new areas to expand. Cloud computing is one of the most intense areas of competition among the tech giants, drawing tens of billions of dollars a year in investment, and reshaping how companies handle IT.
- Cultivate an unsurpassed group of sources in and around the companies you cover.
- Break news, delivering scoops of fact and analysis that distinguish our coverage from the crowd.
- Conceive and execute deeply reported, agenda-setting enterprise stories for online and print and as well as other platforms such as podcasts.
- Work effectively as part of a team covering the broader issues facing the technology industry, from regulation to economic tumult.
- A track record of developing sources, dominating a beat and producing scoops and enterprise ahead of the competition.
- A demonstrated ability to tackle ambitious projects and find original approaches to coverage, and the motivation to work independently when needed.
- Proven strength collaborating with colleagues while also driving your own agenda on a beat.
- An ability to organize your reporting and write quickly and clearly.
- Preferably, 5-10 years of experience on a business, financial or economics beat. Ideally, some knowledge of the tech industry.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter explaining how your skills, experience and interests align with the requirements of the role. Please also include a list of clips with brief explanations of how they illustrate the desired attributes for this role.
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
To apply, go here.