The Wall Street Journal is looking for a Professional Products Editor to be our content chief for a wide range of WSJ products that serve the specialized work-related interests and needs of business and financial professionals. You will oversee a dedicated team of reporters and editors who produce news and analysis that help professional audiences better understand their industries and their roles, do their jobs effectively and advance their careers. You will work closely with editors throughout the newsroom to coordinate coverage and identify ways to better serve professional audiences. You will also communicate regularly with commercial colleagues to ensure alignment on professional product priorities and business strategy.
While you will likely start the job remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office. The role reports to the Editor, Professional News.
- Ensure the content for our professional products is indispensable to the daily routine and highly specialized needs of business and financial professionals.
- Working with other editors and the News Insights team, conduct rigorous evaluation of specialized professional products to ensure our content aligns with the needs of subscribers and that we are taking full advantage of opportunities.
- Introduce new features to products that respond to the needs of professional audiences for insights about their industries and their roles.
- Work with other parts of Dow Jones, including Newswires, Data Strategy, Risk & Compliance, Factiva, Barron’s, etc., to identify new content that would be valuable to this audience and could grow subscriptions.
- Work closely with the conferences group to develop and grow events that address the unique needs of business and financial professional subscribers.
- Oversee several teams of reporters and editors that produce all WSJ Pro content and other verticals focused on professional audiences. Ensure that they are producing high-value, unique content, that their work is coordinated as needed with the rest of the newsroom and that resources are allocated appropriately.
- Ensure that journalists in the broader newsroom are aware of their responsibilities and opportunities to contribute content to specialized products.
- Set and communicate clear priorities for the Pro journalists, responding to and managing initiatives launched with other senior editors and commercial departments.
- Lead with empathy, both for our audience and your team members. You will be eager to understand the perspectives of our diverse audience, and you will help your direct reports produce their very best work and support their career development.
- Deep understanding of the unique content needs of financial professionals.
- Experience managing, leading and inspiring a large, multi-disciplined group of journalists. Must also be able to positively influence outcomes among people who aren’t direct reports.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proven ability to work across departments, galvanize and achieve results.
- Strategic and creative thinking.
To apply, go here.