WSJ seeks a platform editor in London
The Wall Street Journal seeks a London-based editor who will be responsible for executing daily curation on the Journal’s native platforms, focusing on the mobile app and desktop website.
This editor employs solid news judgment and knowledge of audience data when programming our digital front pages, and curates section pages to leverage the depth and breadth of our journalism for highly engaged users who want to dive deeper into specific topics. The successful candidate will demonstrate sharp writing and strong editing skills, and balance the needs of breaking news and enterprise journalism with our subscribers in mind.
This role requires speed and proficiency with digital publishing tools and a command of newsroom workflows. The ability to work as part of a team is essential. This London-based editor will work a daytime schedule that will likely include at least one weekend day, helping to ensure our digital platforms look sharp as our U.S. readers come online each day.
- Exercises strong judgment in packaging and presenting news.
- Demonstrates a command of editing and digital headline writing.
- Employs design and visual judgment to enhance digital storytelling packages.
- Understands how to balance breaking news with enterprise and features.
- Recognizes the Journal’s core digital audience and its needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with the audience.
- Upholds The Wall Street Journal’s high standards and ethics.
Digital media skills
- Ease with editing different types of media, e.g., text, graphics, share text and captions.
- Creates informative and engaging packages on digital home pages, section pages and within articles.
- Uses audience data to inform curation decisions, making adjustments as needed.
- Command of newsroom publishing tools.
- Ability and willingness to assist in troubleshooting digital publishing issues.
- Detail-oriented. Takes pride in and ownership of their own work.
- Works well independently and as part of a larger team.
- Thrives in an atmosphere of constant change and embraces experimentation.
- Comfortable balancing multiple tasks and responsibilities while meeting deadlines.
- Collaborates with other groups and employs excellent communication skills.
- Open-minded. Welcomes learning new skills and opportunities to teach others.
- General awareness of how our newsroom works and others’ roles and responsibilities.
To apply, go here.