WSJ. Magazine seeks managing editor
WSJ. Magazine is currently seeking a managing editor to work closely with the editor-in-chief and senior staff to conceive, produce and publish articles for the magazine each month.
WSJ. Magazine is a creative, collaborative and exciting work environment. The ideal candidate will have experience managing editorial staff, superior organizational skills and is a natural problem-solver. An understanding of and a passion for luxury lifestyle content, from fashion to travel, food to architecture is a plus.
The ideal candidate will also ensure that there is a cohesive flow to each issue, from conception to close, will foster effective and frequent communication among all departments and will also insure that all editorial expenditures are in line with the magazine’s budget.
Job Description & Responsibilities:
- Manage the magazine’s day-to-day operations, including staffing and scheduling.
- Oversee magazine workflow processes, including long-range planning and execution of all assignments
- Run weekly editorial meetings, send out daily goals list, communicate and enforce deadlines based on production schedule
- Daily communication with editorial team to insure timely delivery of final, approved copy, photo requests and the like; Similarly confer with photo team regarding photo shoots and pickup status as well as the art team regarding layouts
- Monitor and report creative spending based on annual editorial budget. Review and approve shoot and story estimates and invoices, insuring each department adheres to editorial and photo budgets.
- Be the point of contact with advertising and production departments on issue makeup, as well as marketing and events teams
- Negotiate contracts with writers and agents with in-house counsel. Communicate frequently with regular contributors
- Read and edit proofs of each story for quality, accuracy, editorial tone and consistency
- Identify potential legal problems in each issue with in-house counsel
- Meet with and interview candidates for open and future positions
- Collaborate with the digital editor to migrate content from print to web
- Consult on other consumer magazine, digital, editorial projects for Dow Jones.
- Must have 7+ years of magazine editing experience, with 5 years in a management role
- Strong editorial judgment about content and its accuracy, tone and organization
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills that inspire passion, dedication and excellence from others
- Experience managing and tracking editorial budgets
- Digital and social media skills
Applications should include a resume and cover letter.
To apply, go here.