WSJ. magazine seeks a managing editor
WSJ. Magazine is seeking a managing editor to work closely with the editor in chief and senior staff to produce the print edition and various brand extensions, with an emphasis on managing the magazine’s complex budget.
WSJ. Magazine is a creative, collaborative and exciting work environment. The ideal candidate will have experience managing editorial staff, possess superior organizational skills and be a natural problem-solver. An understanding of and a passion for luxury lifestyle content — from fashion to travel, food to architecture — is a plus.
The ideal candidate will ensure that there is a cohesive flow to each issue, from conception to close, will foster effective and frequent communication among all departments and will also ensure that all editorial expenditures are in line with the magazine’s budget.
Job Description & Responsibilities:
- Manage the magazine’s day-to-day operations, including staffing, finances and scheduling
- Closely monitor the magazine’s budget. Track weekly spending in real-time and match it against per-issue budget. This position has direct responsibility for working with the editor in chief and The Wall Street Journal’s managing editor’s office to keep the magazine on budget. This is the most important part of this job.
- Review and approve shoot and story estimates and invoices, ensuring each department adheres to editorial and photo budgets
- Monitor magazine expenses (including issue costs, over-time and T&E) closely to make sure they are on budget and reasonable
- Oversee magazine workflow processes, including long-range planning and execution of all assignments
- Run weekly editorial meetings, maintain the lineup, send out daily goals list, communicate and enforce deadlines based on production schedule
- Daily communication with editorial team to insure timely delivery of final, approved copy, visuals requests, photo shoot confirmations, photography and pickup status, and layouts
- Be the point of contact with advertising and production departments on issue makeup
- Liaise with marketing and events team for all WSJ. brand and event extensions
- Negotiate contracts with writers and agents with in-house counsel. Communicate frequently with regular contributors
- Read and edit proofs of each story for quality, accuracy, editorial tone and consistency
- Identify potential legal problems in each issue with in-house counsel
- Meet with and interview candidates for open and future positions
- Liaise with the digital editor and PR team on digital publishing schedule and strategy
- Must have 7+ years of magazine editing experience, with 5 years in a management role
- Must have experience building and tracking systems for expenses and budgets
- Strong editorial judgment about content and its accuracy, tone and organization
- Excellent writing and editing skills as well as digital and social media skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills that inspire passion, dedication and excellence from others
To apply, go here.