Wired seeks a global director of audience development
Wired is hiring a Global Director of Audience Development. They will partner with site leads to craft initiatives that introduce Wired content to new readers across the globe and build loyalty with its existing audience, and will be responsible for developing and implementing a content distribution strategy that will extend the reach and amplification across search, newsletters, multiple social networks, and more. Using analytics, research, and insights, the Global Director will also work with Editorial and Consumer Marketing leads to inform content and subscription strategy across Wired.
Finally, this person should also have an eye for revenue, with an understanding of how display, subscription, e-commerce, and partnerships come together to move the business forward. This role will manage the Director of Social Media, the Director of Analytics, and the team’s audience development managers, and will report to the Senior Global Director of Audience Development and Analytics for Condé Nast’s paywalled brands.
The ideal candidate will be someone who deeply understands the digital media industry, is highly analytical, and is nimble and creative with the ability to incorporate data and testing into the decision-making process. Wired needs people who have an entrepreneurial spirit, an inherent understanding of the web, and an eye for strategy. Curiosity, motivation and rigor are a must, and a love for the brand is of course a big plus.
This role will be based in San Francisco, though remote candidates are welcome to apply as we navigate our return to the office. Apply for this job here.
• Collaborate cross-functionally with executive brand stakeholders including Editorial, Product, Consumer Marketing, and Sales to develop and execute data-driven audience growth plans that are consistent with the brand’s global editorial mission across a variety of platforms and maximize customer monetization.
• Responsible for developing distribution strategies across multiple platforms that amplify and extend the reach of the brand’s content via SEO, newsletters, social, partnerships, and more.
• Work with WIRED’s Director of Social Media to develop social media strategy, creating best practices that grow and optimize social media footprint and engagement across channels.
• Work with WIRED’s Director of Analytics to define measurement and testing strategy, and use analytical deep dives to identify new content opportunities for brand growth.
• Work with Global Editorial Director and senior leaders to support audience development efforts across WIRED’s global publications, and build a cohesive strategy to support global goals
• Develop and oversee newsletter strategy and manage all newsletter products from editorial curation to production, and work with WIRED’s editorial team on testing and optimization on a rolling basis.
• Work closely with the editorial team to identify new content strategy opportunities, and advise on day-to-day optimizations, such as with headlines for search and social media. Lead periodic workshops on best practices.
• Explore new distribution platforms and, in collaboration with editorial stakeholders, evaluate whether the brand should participate, and communicate best practices for traffic driving and engagement (in conjunction with larger Aud Dev, Social Strategy, and Business Development teams).
• Work closely with digital leadership to determine and meet growth and consumer-driven KPIs and ensure that they align with editorial and revenue strategy.
• Manage overall audience development testing strategy—including consumer funnel optimization, distribution channel mix, and headline and image optimization.
• Expand and enhance strategies to drive readers to subscribe across all channels, and collaborate with the Senior Global Director to improve subscription platforms and web features.
• Collaborate with edit and commerce stakeholders to grow traffic and engagement for affiliate revenue-driving content.
• Work closely with business and sales teams to package and deliver against sponsorships across distribution channels, including newsletter and social executions.
• Work closely with product teams to enhance the brand’s web offerings, and collaborate with the Senior Global Director on projects to increase reader engagement, time spent and loyalty.
• Identify new growth opportunities and best practices based on emerging digital trends, competitive business intelligence, and consumer insight.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
• Undergraduate degree in a related field (journalism, communications, marketing, analytics, business) required. Graduate degree a plus.
• 10+ years of experience in the media industry, with a thorough understanding of online business models and strategies.
• Detailed knowledge of major web analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Omniture, Parsely, and/or Chartbeat.
• Experience running tests to optimize marketing and user experience initiatives.
• Solid understanding of social and mobile channels, and deep familiarity with social analytics tools.
• Deep understanding of all audience development channels – SEO, social, newsletter, and partnerships.
• Ability to clearly articulate and present analyses to all levels of management, including c-suite executives and Editorial leadership.
• Entrepreneurial, digitally savvy, with exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.