Wired.com seeks an editor in chief
Wired is looking for an editor for Wired.com.
Wired is an ambitious, 26-year-old publication obsessed with how technology, science, and culture is shaping the future.
The editor of Wired.com should be a terrific wordsmith, a talented manager, and a shrewd strategist, and be excited about, and driven by, staying on top of the news.
The ideal candidate will be skilled at leading an editorial team of 30 reporters and editors tasked with covering fast-moving news and writing long-form stories. This editor will be part of the senior leadership team that oversees Wired’s monthly magazine, video properties, social media strategy, podcasts, events, and other projects.
• Establish and execute editorial strategy across digital properties, in collaboration with the editor-in-chief, executive editor, and site director
• Manage the digital editorial team, develop editors and writers, and spot emerging talent
• Work with the site director to advance Wired.com’s business needs while ensuring editorial independence
• Work with the audience development and social media teams to translate Wired’s unique voice to existing and emerging social platforms
• Represent Wired in the media and at live events
• Eight to 10 years of relevant newsroom experience, with extensive experience in editorial leadership. Ideal candidates have run a large team or newsroom.
• Experienced editor who can shape breaking news stories and long-form pieces
• Experience helping teams strategically balance daily news coverage and longer-term projects
• Strong emotional intelligence and conflict resolution skills
• Experience managing diverse teams is strongly desired
• Experience managing remote workers or teams is strongly desired
• Experience managing a digital editorial team in a fast-moving environment
• Familiarity with revenue models, including digital subscriptions, affiliate linking, and digital advertising, is a plus
This is a full-time Condé Nast staff position and is based at Wired’s headquarters in San Francisco. Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.