The Williamson County Sun — a twice-weekly, award-winning, family-owned community newspaper based in Georgetown, Texas — is looking for a news and general assignments reporter who is passionate about covering local government, community growth and business in one the country’s fastest-growing communities.
Reporters are responsible for writing well-sourced articles and features that keep the greater Georgetown community informed. Assignments are a combination of fast, hard-hitting news stories, in-depth reporting and profiles.
Reporters are expected to spend time in the community they serve. Living in or near Georgetown is a must. Work hours are spent in the Sun’s office, reporting in the field and writing virtually at home, when appropriate. Demands may also require working weeknights to cover meetings and weekends for special events.
Applicants should have:
- Newsroom experience with published clips, as well as a degree in journalism or a related field.
- A strong knowledge of AP style and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and timely.
- An enthusiasm for covering local news, learning new beats and building relationships within the community.
- An ability to meet short and long-term deadlines, juggle multiple assignments at once, use time efficiently and be flexible in a fast-paced news environment.
- A basic knowledge of social media platforms and Google products.
- Experience using Adobe is a plus.
- Basic photography skills.
The reporter is responsible for:
- Thoroughly covering assigned beats and stories.
- Pitching relevant story ideas Producing clear, concise stories on deadline and developing associated photos, sidebars, maps and cutlines.
- Fact checking stories for accuracy.
- Attending in-person events, gatherings and meetings as assigned.
- Communicating with the editor about story progress, changes and adjustments, as needed.
- Responding to emails and calls from coworkers and sources quickly and efficiently.
- Promoting stories on social media and helping publish content to wilcosun.com.
- Working towards goals set by the editor to continue professional growth.
Please send a resume, cover letter and at least three journalistic writing samples to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
Salary type: Hourly, 40-44 hours per week
Starting salary: $36K-39K
For more details click here.