Washington Biz Journal seeks a reporter
Amazon is coming to Arlington County, and the Washington Business Journal is growing our newsroom.
We are seeking a veteran reporter to cover the impact on our region, including transportation, housing, demographics, jobs, politics and policy.
We want a creative and curious reporter who can deliver breaking news scoops and conceptual scoops. Our mission is to tell our readers what’s coming before it happens, so sourcing and credibility are crucial. This reporter will file both short daily stories as well as in-depth pieces and project-oriented journalism for both our digital and print editions.
Clean, accurate copy is a must, as is the ability to collaborate with other reporters as growth coverage crosses many of our industries and beats.
* Own the beat audience.
* Own the beat conversation.
* Build source network relentlessly.
* Attend both Business Journal and industry related events. When relevant to their beats, reporters must work in partnership with the publisher, editor in chief and event director to select speakers and topics that will grow event attendance and audience. Reporters will be expected to facilitate/moderate at Business Journal events and must be comfortable in taking a leading role in the community.
* Work collaboratively with editors, photographers, designers and others to maximize the impact and accessibility of stories reported.
* Develop and curate a reporter page/section spread in the print paper each week; this spread is comprised of information, highlights and data gathered and reported on throughout the week, then packaged and freshened for the print product.
* Meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement such as page views, unique users, repeat visits, direct traffic, social media followings and growth, paid print subscribership, email newsletter circulation growth, event attendance, and other such measures.
* Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
* Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources.
* Ability to work independently and remotely
* Ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
* Strong writing, analytical and investigative interviewing skills
* Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person and online and to develop sources and an audience
* Comfortable with constant change
* Competitive, collaborative, curious
* Knowledge of business, and/or business community, a plus
* Fast learner
* Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
* Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
* Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
* Experience with using social media to source and promote content a plus
* Understanding imperatives of multiple platforms – print, mobile, Internet, etc.
* Mastery of social media and digital interaction
* Proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
* Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
* Minimum of 2 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, go here.