The Managing Editor, Wake Forest Magazine is responsible for helping drive content creation and news and features coverage for the award-winning Wake Forest Magazine with its 90,000-issue print circulation and for directing and producing content for our website and social media channels. Responsible for overseeing production scheduling, production progress and deadlines. Helps create and implement the magazine’s strategy; assists the AVP/Editor-at-Large in managing resources and budgets; spearheads editorial initiatives; writes and edits; meets with vendors as needed.
This Job Is For You If You Are Able To….
- In collaboration with the AVP/Editor-at-Large, identify and implement a magazine strategy to ensure vibrant communication to audiences, including alumni, parents and friends.
- Write and edit original content, with a demonstrated flair for feature writing.
- Assist in developing a robust story budget for the magazine, including themed issues, which aligns with strategic priorities.
- Copy edit all magazine materials in print and online.
- Provide writing and editorial oversight for the magazine’s website and social networking sites.
- Supervise the work of the WF Magazine staff when AVP/Editor-at-Large is away or teaching.
- Help ensure that the editorial integrity and graphic identity of the institution are maintained/advanced in WF Magazine.
- Coordinate with a freelance designer and in-house art director on visual storytelling.
- Take proactive steps to solicit and offer story ideas; keep current on WF news.
- Assist in production and oversight of email newsletter.
- Help supervise magazine interns.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Have high standards for your work and are proud to contribute to a mission-driven organization.
- Contribute to a transparent and equitable organizational culture where ethical and equity policies and practices are understood and lived out by all staff.
- Have a passion for workplace diversity and inclusion.
- Get excited about the prospect of joining a team that is making a difference in people’s lives every day.
What Skills Do You Need?
- Bachelor’s degree or better in journalism, English or a related field with a minimum of five years of experience in writing, editing, proofreading, and publications.
- Supervisory experience, preferably at least five years.
- Ability to write, edit, and manage production of print and digital projects creatively and collaboratively, while advancing the editorial standards of the University.
- Strong news judgment with an eye for good stories.
- Proven record as an exceptional writer and editor who is creative about digital forms of storytelling.
- Excellent editing skills under deadline pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently; ability to prioritize, set and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with clients, colleagues, and vendors.
- Ability to manage creative staff and work well with design team members, magazine teammates and University colleagues.
- Proficiency in desktop software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Google Drive; proficiency in social networking tools and a Web CMS such as WordPress for online publishing.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends and to travel as necessary.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality pertaining to information contained in donor records and system data.
- Commitment to equity, particularly racial equity, with a willingness to learn about it and integrate it into all aspects of the work.
- Respect for the dignity and abilities of all people.
Please include 3-5 writing samples along with your cover letter and CV when applying for this position.
Deadline: March 10, 2023 @ 11:59 p.m. EST
For more details click here.