Attention experienced managing editors — Look closely at this once-in-a-decade professional opportunity.
Would you like to:
- Practice top-quality journalism that compares with the best of the industry?
- Guide, develop and supervise a national award-winning staff?
- Know that your newspaper is the talk of the town every day of publication?
- Never find a single workday boring?
- Juggle a handful of stories every day that each could be the lede in almost any other newspaper elsewhere?
- Live in a dynamic, exciting and unique culture renown as “America’s Paradise”?
If you’re interested in a job that includes these highlights, then read further.
The Virgin Islands Daily News, a Pulitzer Prize-winning six-day daily covering the U.S. Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands is seeking a Managing Editor who will be responsible for supervision and managing sub- editors, work on special projects, is an expert at precision editing, can rotate on the news desk between sections and does quality page design. This is the second-ranking position in our newsroom.
Make no mistake: This is quite possibly your dream job, but the successful candidate will be launched into a fast-paced, hands-on, hyper-demanding role that requires long hours, rigorous dedication and unflinching standards.
The skill set and experience we require includes:
- Significant high quality experience managing reporters and newspaper coverage — along with all the expertise in communication, organization, training and supervision that implies.
- Demonstrated expertise — through excellent work samples and professional references — in the standards, styles and ethics of U.S. newspaper journalism.
- Enthusiasm for pursuing the story and dexterity in guiding reporters through that process.
This is not an entry-level position, and the learning curve will be very steep — even for a seasoned journalist. Take time now to research the Virgin Islands and The Virgin Islands Daily News — start with our website, http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com. Look at our work and our community. If you are ready to jump in the deep end and swim from the start, then this could be the opportunity of a lifetime.
Do not apply unless you are sincerely interested in this job, in making it your top priority 60-plus hours a week and in relocating to the Virgin Islands for a minimum of three years.
If you feel you could be a good fit for this job, then send PDF files of a cover letter, your resume, your professional references and your work samples to Executive Editor Eunice Bedminster at firstname.lastname@example.org or send printed material to Job Applications
For further details click here.