The Vail Daily, located in the heart of the Colorado High Country, is seeking a versatile reporter who can juggle daily news coverage with longer-term investigative projects. This reporter will cover local government and chase stories of impact on topics ranging from housing, local business, outdoor recreation, climate change and health. We are looking for someone with one to two years of experience working in a daily journalism environment.
As a reporter in our newsroom, you’ll be focused on daily coverage, enterprise stories and longer-term investigative reporting. The ideal candidate will have superior reporting skills and the ability to provide timely explanatory pieces, quick-turn analysis off breaking news and compelling profiles of key people making news in Eagle County. You’ve got to be a planner who knows how to strategize and execute, and you also need to be able to pivot quickly when news happens. This job is all about details — plotting coverage, hitting deadlines, doing your homework, crafting stories that avoid the jargon of government reporting, and driving digital engagement.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Generate 6-7 stories per week.
- Take photos and video as well as create and share content on social media.
- Demonstrate effective use of social media tools to source stories and drive traffic to our digital and print products.
- Work well with community leaders/figures as well as other newsroom staff.
- Be flexible in a changing, fast-paced environment.
- Ensure accuracy, fairness and correct spelling in all reporting duties.
- Follow direction and vision of the Vail Daily editor.
- Make assigned deadlines without exception.
- Fill in for reporting vacancies as needed.
- Be ethical within the guidelines set by the editor.
- Be a team player and help where needed.
- Journalism, English or communications degree required
- One year reporting experience
- Must be available to work some nights and weekends
- Experience with content management systems
- Digital photography experience
- Knowledge of AP style
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Availability to work some nights and weekends
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
- Must have a current driver’s license or the ability to get one
$22-$24/hour depending on experience
Apply by emailing resume, cover letter and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details click here.