Triad Biz Journal seeks reporter to cover innovation, health care, higher ed
The Triad Business Journal is looking for a reporter to cover innovation, health care and higher ed.
The ideal candidate will blend traditional journalism skills — source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess and scoop-driven reporting – with online and social media know-how. This reporter will play a pivotal role in our launch of a new platform for innovation news coverage, capturing the people and personalities who are fueling “Change for the Better.” Our reporters do far more than turn in copy, regularly incorporating slideshows and other multimedia components to advance a story and further engage our audience. They break hard news that sometimes sources don’t want brought to light, but they don’t burn bridges.
• Report and write short- and long-form stories for our website and weekly print edition.
• Own the beat, dictating day-to-day coverage and thriving on digging out source-driven exclusives.
• Relentlessly develop sources and manage relationships with high-level executives and other community leaders.
• Scoop competitors on every story of any significance, not only telling readers what happened, but why and how.
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources.
• A drive to cultivate sources and leverage those relationships to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online.
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
• 1-3 years reporting in a newsroom
• Track record in the news business of building, maintaining and engaging an audience in print and online.
• Social media mavens held in high regard.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and clips that best show enterprising and scoops reporting to Lloyd Whittington, Editor, Triad Business Journal: firstname.lastname@example.org.