Reuters is looking for an ambitious Desk Editor for our fast-paced, round-the-clock Global News Desk. Expect to work alongside award-winning journalists in a global news organization long recognized for its commitment to accuracy and fairness. Play a role helping us evolve digitally to stand out from the crowd for everything from business to world events.
The successful candidate must be an experienced journalist adept at crafting and honing stories that span geographies, industries and markets, from scoops and breaking news to quick-turn analyses and insights. The position demands an understanding of the needs of our wide audience, from financial and professional clients to the world’s biggest media organizations and digital publishers, and a willingness to help lead us to new readers.
You should be ready to experiment with new story formats and tools, working not only as a copy editor but also as a content curator who can pull together a rich package of video, pictures, graphics and text stories. Sharp headlines, ledes and nut grafs are essential. So is spotting gaps in the file and working with news editors to fill them. Experience writing or editing business stories is an advantage.
You must have a proven ability to produce clean, engaging stories at speed as you will likely be called upon to take copy from reporters and write or edit major breaking stories. You must be precise with language and able to express complex ideas for specialist and general audiences alike, while enforcing Reuters high standards for accuracy, brevity, clarity, fair comment, impartiality and sourcing.
About The Role:
In this opportunity as Desk Editor, you will:
- Edit breaking news stories at speed for a global audience
- Copy edit longer initiative stories for a global audience that may take a few days
- Ensure every story is balanced and includes fair comment
- Choose strong visuals on merit for the stories you edit
- Collaborate with colleagues around the world
- Help drive innovation for news production and new ways of telling stories
- Understand and make effective use of story “codes” – the method we use to direct stories to the right clients
- Ensure stories are written to a length that meets the needs of our busy customers
You’re a fit for the role of Desk Editor, if you likely have:
- Five or more years of journalism experience as a reporter or production editor. A track record in business or finance is a plus.
- Fast and accurate writing; superb copy editing skills, including on complex and legally and socially sensitive stories
- Strong digital and multimedia expertise and familiarity with the needs of a digital audience; experience optimizing stories for search (SEO) and other platforms, as well as an understanding of analytics are a plus
- Ability to cover topics for multiple audiences
- Strong news judgment and ability to shape a story by asking smart questions and challenging premises
- Calmness under pressure; ability to make quick and sound decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication skills, strong team ethic, diplomacy and collaboration
- Experience editing newsletters a plus
Please be advised the deadline for applications is Friday, March 24th at 5pm EST.
The base compensation range for the role in any of those locations is $70,000 – $125,500
For further details click here.