The Washington Post Opinions section seeks an audience strategy editor who will connect commentary on a wide range of topics with online audiences and help craft and implement digital strategies.
As a member of Opinions’ audience strategy team, the editor will collaborate across the section and organization to elevate our opinion journalism, for Washington Post subscribers and new audiences alike. These editors split their time between working on daily curation and strategy: packaging stories on the washingtonpost.com homepage and Opinions section page, in newsletters and for search engines, and developing strategies around news events and newsmaker op-eds; projects: working to elevate special Opinions features, making sure they’re fully optimized and pitched to reach as many readers as possible and exploring new ways to make an impact with key targets; and working on strategies for specialized areas of focus, which may include homepage curation and tooling, newsletters, search engine optimization and recirculation strategy, crafting CMS best practices, reader engagement experiences and more. This editor will make decisions based on real-time and historical analytics, and reports to the director of audience strategy for Opinions.
The audience strategy team crafts best practices for Opinions editors; columnists; cartoonists; and guest writers — always with our readers front of mind. They are ambassadors for new tools to execute and elevate our opinion journalism, and should consistently be on the lookout for ways to innovate with our products and presentation.
- You are passionate about opinion journalism and its ability to help people understand the news
- You have an experimental spirit and want to find new ways of connecting audiences to journalism
- You want to help opinion writers reach new audiences
- You are comfortable coaching and collaborating with others
- You are excited by the opportunity to take on new challenges and determine how they fit into existing workflows
- You like to be an early adopter new technologies and processes at work and give feedback
- Ensure readers find and engage with all the Opinions section has to offer by curating the Opinions section across platforms including the homepage, section landing page, recirculation modules, newsletters, push alerts and more.
- Disseminate best practices on using our tools to produce great, engaging opinion journalism efficiently and effectively by crafting guides and workflows to The Post’s publishing suite based on Opinions’ unique needs.
- Stay on the cutting edge of technology that will help us produce top-notch opinions journalism and connect it with audiences by attending Product and Engineering stakeholder meetings and communicating technology changes to the Opinions team.
- Help editors and writers make coverage decisions by monitoring daily search and social trends and audience coverage needs.
- Create actionable insights for writers and editors by analyzing daily and long-term performance of our journalism to through analytics tools.
- Make our opinion section the most innovative in the industry, promoting transparency and discovery of our journalism by proposing experiments related to audience strategies or tools that could help Opinions grow its audience.
- Make Opinions ever relevant to our readers and help them form habits around our personalities by advising writers and editors on audience needs.
- 3+ years of experience at a news organization
- Strong news judgment to identify, elevate and package the most important stories of the day
- Experience writing clear, sharp headlines aimed at online audiences
- Experience interpreting analytics with programs such as Chartbeat, Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Track record of working with writers and editors to optimize journalism for online audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort in training others
- A grasp of digital journalism trends and desire to innovate
- Preferred: Copy editing experience
For more information click here.