The Washington Post has an opening for a managing editor who will oversee the National/Politics, Metro and Sports departments in our newsroom – departments and areas of coverage that are key to The Post’s continued evolution as the essential daily news report to understand America.
The successful candidate will work closely with Executive Editor Sally Buzbee and other members of our senior leadership team to chart goals for the newsroom and propel it to even greater success. This managing editor will be instrumental in defining and executing the journalistic strategy for these critical and large reporting departments, as well as shaping how we structure and expand our teams to further fulfill our ambitions and mission.
We seek a leader who has extensive experience running coverage and managing journalists who break news and pursue ambitious projects.
Candidates’ backgrounds should include most, if not all, of the following elements:
- Overseeing large, complex staffs who work in a variety of formats
- Collaborating across departments to bring together robust and accessible storytelling on multiple platforms
- Leading colleagues to adapt and prosper as newsroom needs change.
- Candidates should be able to draw from a record of conceiving and guiding high-impact accountability and investigative journalism on a range of topics.
- They also will have successfully led or helped lead significant organizational growth and change.
The qualities needed for success in this role include:
- Superb news judgment
- Experience in motivating journalists
- Experience in structuring teams for maximum success
- A deep dedication to The Post’s mission to scrutinize power in its varied manifestations.
As with all our leadership positions, we seek individuals with highly developed communication skills, competitive zeal, a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, and an empathetic approach to management.
This position is based in our Washington newsroom.
Estimated salary: $56.8K – $71.9K a year
Candidates should upload a résumé and cover letter to our jobs portal. All materials can be uploaded to the same field. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but those received by 3/31/2023 will be prioritized. The cover letter should be addressed to Executive Editor Sally Buzbee, to whom this position will report, and to Senior Managing Editor Cameron Barr.
For further details click here.