The Wall Street Journal is seeking audience strategists to help define what we cover and how we cover it.
You will be working with a team of editors and journalists in the U.S., Europe and Asia to ensure our journalism engages our subscribers and reaches a wide audience in the most compelling way. The job has a broad scope and the pace of a digital newsroom.
- Work closely with the editorial leadership team to develop audience strategy with dual focus: keeping our subscribers engaged and reaching new audiences.
- Champion use of data and analytics in the newsroom, preparing statistical reports and working with editors to monitor, meet and exceed our key performance indicators.
- Lead training on digital best practices and how to use data to inform coverage decisions.
- Look beyond the daily news cycle to identify and address opportunities across departments including coverage, audiences, operations, product, marketing.
- Be an active participant in news meetings, helping shape stories to meet the needs of our audiences.
- Work closely with our social and SEO team to monitor topics of interest, and help editors plan coverage accordingly.
- Shape the format of our journalism to tell stories in the most impactful way whether through text, live journalism, visuals, video and podcasts or other approaches.
- Regularly share audience learnings with the broader newsroom.
- 7+ years digital newsroom experience including some combination of newsroom strategy, editing, production or digital project management.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to find insights from data; create an easy-to-understand narrative from them; and deliver a plan to address the findings.
- Data skills and experience using tools for web analytics. Experience with SQL, Python or other data-analysis languages is optional but an advantage.
- A strong understanding of and interest in the competitive landscape for digital news media.
- Track record of developing strong and trusting relationships, collaborating, and building consensus.
- Ability to communicate in writing and in person clearly, concisely and persuasively.
- Comfortable with taking the initiative to surface challenges and opportunities, and the drive to develop and act on solutions.
The position will be based in our New York office.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how you would approach the job. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions.
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Pay Range: $65,000 – $200,000
For more details click here.