The Tampa Bay Times is hiring a breaking news reporter to deliver timely news stories that engage our growing digital audience. Urgency and competitiveness are key requirements. The focus is on weather, public safety (crime, fire, traffic) and other subjects driving the local news cycle of the moment. The reporter will be part of a team that works across the newsroom.
- Find great stories that are fast-moving and highly readable.
- Respond quickly to crime scenes and other incidents.
- Cover public safety issues aggressively and with sensitivity, including follow-up coverage.
- Become well-versed in Florida weather, including interpreting tropical weather updates.
- Identify topics readers are talking about and write explainers using alternative story formats.
- Understand and use audience metrics to help increase readership.
- Write quickly and often.
- Strong news judgment, well-versed in journalism ethics.
- A deep curiosity and high energy.
- Experience at a college publication is a plus. Ideally, applicants have completed at least one professional internship or job.
- Eagerness to collaborate across the newsroom and ask questions.
- Creative thinker who can think of innovative ways to report and write stories and present them to readers.
- Open to early morning and late evening work and an occasional weekend shift.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and include any relevant work samples.
For more details click here.