The Times editorial team is seeking a shrewd and enterprising Editorial Writer to help lead critical conversations important to the Puget Sound region and Washington state. The Editorial Writer will serve as a member of the editorial board, researching and making policy recommendations and writing insightful, persuasive editorials on behalf of The Times editorial board and the occasional personal column.
This person should be skilled at understanding complex issues, seeing both the big picture and the nuance in search of the answers to questions that matter. The writer should be open-minded but super-resistant to spin from political operatives and special interests. The writer should be passionate and collegial in debating issues with colleagues and skilled at cultivating sources. This person will contribute to the editorial page’s online presence through leveraging social media to engage readers and sources. This person will be skilled at writing on deadline, responding quickly to the news of the day and looking for opportunities to break news.
Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives.
- Experience: Minimum 5 years’ experience in journalism or a related field with particular experience in opinion writing.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism or a related field.
- Applicant should already routinely use digital tools in journalism.
- Standard office considerations with workload dependent on daily demands and major project work.
- Substantial time spent at computer workstations, as well as inter-building collaboration.
Compensation: The full salary range for this position is $47,600 to $105,000. We typically pay between $70,000 and $105,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
For further information click here.