The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is seeking an Assistant Sports Editor to join our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom.
Collaborating with others throughout the Northwest’s largest newsroom, this editor will lead ambitious multi-platform coverage of Seattle-area pro and/or college teams (including the Seahawks, Mariners, Storm, Kraken, OL Reign, Sounders, UW Huskies and likely an NBA team in the coming years). This role calls for a dedicated, plugged-in leader who can thoughtfully and professionally direct a team of reporters to produce ambitious daily and longer-form enterprise coverage, building reader loyalty in the process. The Assistant Sports Editor reports to the Sports Editor.
Schedule: This editor will work Monday through Friday outside football season. This position requires some weekend and night work, as dictated by events and news. There will be times when you’ll have to drop what you’re doing to handle breaking news. The position is a hybrid of in-person and remote work, and includes work as an on-site game-day editor at sports venues. This editor must live in the Seattle metro area.
- Plan, assign, evaluate, select, edit and publish daily coverage. This includes both fast-breaking news and in-depth projects.
- Work closely with the Sports Editor, Sports Reporters and others to chart direction and make coverage decisions based on our goals and priorities.
- Identify and help creatively tell uniquely Northwest sports stories.
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion in coverage, including sourcing and framing.
- Use digital tools to monitor audience interest in stories and boost readership.
- Be willing to experiment, try new story topics and formats, and evaluate and learn from the outcomes of those experiments, always with an eye toward reaching audiences and driving subscriptions.
- Work with colleagues in Photo, Graphics/Interactives and the Digital Audience Team to coordinate visuals and digital assets for stories.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom, and we encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives in your cover letter.
- Experience: 5+ years of experience at a metropolitan daily media organization, including 2+ years of supervisory experience, preferred.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and experience.
- Must have thorough knowledge of, and deep interest in, sports.
- Must have or quickly develop broad and thorough knowledge of Seattle-area and national sports at all levels.
- Passionate editor who sets a high standard for yourself and those around you.
- Proven skills with digital analytics.
- Ability to analyze stories and make quick, informed judgments about content, libel, accuracy and newsworthiness under pressure and on deadline.
- Must be a proactive communicator who is organized and adept at planning.
Compensation: The full salary range for this position is $70,400 to $96,800. We typically pay between $70,400 and $88,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
For further details click here.