The San Diego Union-Tribune is looking for a reporter to cover Tijuana and greater Baja California, as well as issues relating to the California-Mexico border region.
We are looking for a versatile journalist who can take an enterprise approach to the beat, focusing on deeply reported, high-impact journalism. At the same time, the successful candidate must be able to juggle aggressive beat work and breaking news. This is an incredibly dynamic region to cover, and this reporter must be able to identify stories that resonate with a cross-border/U.S. readership. Coverage topics can include everything from security, human rights and politics to business, tourism and culture. This reporter should be able to tackle stories that make a difference and hold accountable institutions and people in power, while carefully navigating a complex reporting environment.
- Providing impactful enterprise stories and daily news reports, primarily in English, for prominent display in print and on digital platforms
- Building a network of sources within our cross-border community
- Pitching in on some weekend/holiday metro reporting shifts
- A minimum of two years of journalism experience or equivalent
- Academic degree or equivalent experience in journalism
- Experience reporting in Mexico or on border issues is preferred but not a must
- Fluency in Spanish
- Ability to simplify complex subjects in a clear, engaging way
- Command of various journalistic writing forms, including narrative and explanatory, with solid news judgment and fluency in style
- Ability to work cooperatively and adaptively in a team setting
- Proven ability to juggle multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment
- Commitment to the fundamentals of journalism: Fairness, accuracy, accessibility
The job is based in San Diego and requires frequent in-person reporting in Mexico. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. U-T employees can apply to work entirely from the office or use a hybrid or remote model, working partly or entirely from home.
Salary: The pay scale for this position is $60,000 to $70,000. This is the pay scale range the Company reasonably expects to pay for this position at the time of this posting. Compensation will be determined based on skills, qualifications and experience of the applicant along with the requirements of the position
For more details click here.