We have an immediate opening for a general assignment/breaking news reporter who will spearhead our late afternoon/evening coverage. It’s an important role on our staff, so it’s critical you know how to break stories, develop sources and be a superhero in social media with a commitment to digital urgency. We focus on attracting (and retaining) new readers and doing consequential work that informs our readers, defends the First Amendment and protects the most vulnerable in Northern California. We preach (and teach!) high-powered reporting and what we call “Big J Journalism”.
Candidates must be naturally curious and motivated, with a proven ability to report compelling stories that resonate with readers. Data acquisition, analysis and fluency in Spanish are a plus.
We’re seeking someone who must:
- Be skilled at reporting, writing and growing your digital audience through social media.
- Be comfortable writing on a wide range of issues.
- Have a proven track record of generating story ideas and delivering high-impact enterprise work.
- Develop and maintain relationships with public figures, officials and individuals across our county and in Sacramento.
- Be able to shoot production-quality photographs and videos.
- Have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
- Excel in social media proficiency.
- Respond to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner.
This position is based in Santa Rosa, and you’ll be working from our just-opened newsroom.
The pay scale is $25.86 – 32.26 per hour, depending on years of experience
To be considered, apply on our career page and email Editor Richard Green – firstname.lastname@example.org – the following:
- Your updated resume and a link to your LinkedIn profile.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 6-8 digital samples of your work. Show us what you’ve written, produced, or had a hand in that best reflects your writing skills and your best examples of watchdog/enterprise work.
For more details click here.