Have a passion for the digital space, social media channels and finding ways to share great local content with online users? If so, The Press Democrat of Santa Rosa, Calif., is looking for you.
We have an immediate opening for a digital producer intern. You’ll help generate content, edit and share trending stories for pressdemocrat.com and be part of the team identifying stories that will resonate and drive digital subscriptions and page views. You’ll report to our Digital Content Editor but work with other digital producers, our companywide Audience Team, newsroom editors, reporters and visual journalists.
The mission is quite simple: How can we win more subscribers and grow traffic?
About you: You’ll have excellent news judgment, a natural curiosity, sharp command of AP style, an understanding of audience analytics and the ability to chase, write and edit stories quickly and effectively. You can work at either our fast-paced (and sparkling new!) newsroom in downtown Santa Rosa or from your remote space. We’re collaborative, creative and obsessed with connecting with current readers and new subscribers. We’re interested in candidates with passion and a proven track record for digital producing. You can be a college student, a recent graduate or a victim of an unexpected layoff determined to get back into the business.
- Conduct online research for stories.
- Conduct interviews for stories.
- Create galleries with well written and sometimes humorous captions.
- Occasionally shoot and edit videos.
- Research and write stories for blog posts.
- Write and edit newsletters.
- Post social media updates.
Here are qualifications for the position:
- Previous experience working for a media organization.
- Strong writing skills.
- Editing experience.
- Multimedia skills and knowledge.
- Photography/video experience is a plus.
- College education focused on journalism or the media.
- WordPress experience.
- Social media experience: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, TikTok, etc.
Any job offer is conditional upon completion of a pre-employment background investigation.
The starting pay rate is $17.25 – $20 per hour, depending on education and experience.
For details click here.