The Post and Courier, winner of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service and a Pulitzer finalist four times over the past decade, is looking for the next leader of its Education Lab – a talented group of journalists dedicated to changing public education in South Carolina for the better.
The Education Lab, which launched in September 2021, is a watchdog unit investigating systemic education problems in South Carolina through daily news reporting, short-term enterprise work, in-depth feature pieces, large-scale data projects and investigative series. The team also produces solutions-oriented journalism along with Bright Spots, an ongoing series that explores the successes of teachers, schools and districts across the state.
The next editor will focus on strategy, managing the team and community engagement, with the occasional opportunity for reporting and writing.
The ideal leader for this award-winning team will embrace the vision of the project and be driven to make a difference in public education, using our Ed Lab dashboard and other metrics to measure success. The editor will be involved with Ed Lab engagement events and activities held around the state regarding our coverage. The editor also will be included in donor engagement events to discuss our vision and work as well create a quarterly report to keep donors informed about the Education Lab and its progress.
Before you apply, here’s what we will expect from qualified applicants:
- 3 to 5 years of experience as an editor.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a reporting team and produce journalism of the highest caliber.
- A commitment to fostering watchdog and enterprise reporting.
- A passion for the importance of every student’s access to quality education.
- The ability to analyze complex systems and data to inform and drive deeper reporting.
- Examples of clear, direct writing that can make difficult topics easy for readers to understand.
Newsletter and/or podcast experience is a plus.
If you think you fit the bill, send a resume, a cover letter and at least 3-5 samples of work you or your team has produced to Executive Editor Autumn Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information click here.