The Nome Nugget, a weekly community newspaper covering Nome and the Bering Strait/Norton Sound region in Northwestern Alaska, seeks a general assignment reporter. The Nome Nugget is Alaska’s oldest newspaper and is the major source of information for the region.
This is a full-time position and the reporter is expected to cover city government, tribal issues, resource management issues, civic and sports events, climate change and environmental topics in a vast and isolated area that can only be reached by airplane, snowmachine or dog sled.
The successful candidate adheres to impeccable journalism ethics, is committed to work and interact in a diverse environment of Alaska Native cultures and is committed to ethical and in-depth news gathering.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 1-3 years of journalism experience and/or a bachelor’s degree
- Ability to produce news stories and photographs on deadline, for print and digital media.
- The ability to work effectively in a team
- A commitment to listening to and engaging diverse audiences
- A sense of adventure and a desire to have fun and enjoy life while working in a noble profession that is vital to our community
Salary: $35,000 to $40,000
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter describing why they would be a fit for this position.
Applications should be submitted to assistant publisher Diana Haecker at email@example.com.
Or send a letter to The Nome Nugget, PO Box 610, Nome, Alaska 99762.
For inquiries, call (907) 443-5235
For more details click here.