At The News Tribune, we put a premium on breaking stories first as well as investing in hard-nosed, accountability journalism that our audience can’t get anywhere else.
Our journalism focuses on our local communities, and in that role we have the ability to spotlight problems, highlight solutions and truly make a difference — all the reasons you got into journalism. We are part of McClatchy, a digitally driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States.
We are looking for a smart, energetic journalist to cover two of our most important topic areas: Tacoma city government and K-12 education.
As a news reporter, you will cover stories that are relevant to Tacoma readers, including issues involving homelessness, housing affordability and police reform while also monitoring developments in one of the largest public school districts in Washington state. You will be responsible for covering breaking and trending news as well as producing accountability reporting that makes a difference.
We’re looking for a self-paced reporter who can spot and report stories without waiting for an assignment and who can cultivate reliable sources and decipher a government budget. We also are looking for a collaborative journalist who wants to contribute to a team.
The expected schedule is Monday through Friday. You will work with the local news editor to produce content for multiple platforms, with a digital-first mindset.
- Find great stories that are highly readable and contribute to our mission
- Use social media platforms to help distribute and highlight work
- Use SEO intelligently and strategically; understand other audience-growth processes
- Understand and use audience metrics to help increase readership
- Shoot photos and video when needed
- Skillfully use content management systems
- Use data and research to inform reporting
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting to audiences on all platforms
- A deep curiosity and high energy
- A commitment to diverse coverage through community engagement and source building
- A collaborative work ethic and the ability to communicate easily with people on our team and across the company
- Proficient knowledge of technology, including content management systems and storytelling tools
- Ability to quickly and accurately research and verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $24.04 and $28.85 per hour.
For more details click here.