Wirecutter is seeking an updates writer to help keep our catalog of kitchen gear reviews and recommendations useful and up-to-date.
As an updates writer, you will report directly to the kitchen team’s senior editor, making changes to live content owned by this team both proactively and reactively. You will be directly involved in our cyclical planning process, collaborating with writers, editors, and our SEO team to map out and execute on sweeps and updates for reviews and other posts, while also monitoring stock issues and other product news that affects our coverage.
Previous product reviewing experience is not required, but you should be passionate about helping people choose the right thing to buy. An interest in cooking is a plus. You will work closely with other staff writers and editors on the kitchen team to gain reporting, testing, and writing experience. You will participate in testing in our Long Island City office, as well as have opportunities to test products at home. You will have opportunities to pitch, plan, test, and write reviews and articles, and develop beat expertise.
This position is based in New York City in Wirecutter’s Long Island City office (with the flexibility to work from home).
- Update reviews with new information like upcoming changes to our recommendations, products that we look forward to testing, and recent or long-term testing notes
- Scan industry news regularly for changes that affect products and advice in your areas of coverage, communicating swift responses to our readers with our editors and social media team
- Be directly involved in our cyclical planning process, collaborating with writers, editors, and SEO strategists to map out and execute on sweeps and updates for reviews and other posts
- Collaborate with copy editors, fact checkers, photo editors, and producers to move changes through our editorial process
- Systematically check and update existing reviews for internal consistency, flagging dated passages for revision and making corrections where necessary
- Use our customized content management system to edit live reviews, follow processes and stay up to date on best practices
- Help maintain and improve our databases of everything we’ve published, tested, and recommended
- Assist with updates for retail events (i.e., Amazon Prime Day, Black Friday), curated Wirecutter deal events, and other seasonal projects.
- Pitch, write, and rewrite reviews and blog posts in and sometimes outside of your areas of coverage as necessary
- Perform related work as assigned
- Strong writing and reporting skills. Journalistic experience or training
- Enthusiasm for product research and testing methods
- Experience with basic HTML and WordPress, or similar online publishing platforms
- Familiarity with other publications that cover sleep and appliance news and new products
- Self-organized and motivated, with effective communication skills
- Ability to manage deadlines on multiple projects
- Creativity in problem-solving
- Experience working with remote teams and collaborative software appreciated
- Professional experience in writing about products or technology
- A cover letter explaining your relevant experience and your interest in Wirecutter and the categories covered in this role.
The annual base pay for this role is $59,000 to $59,000.
For further information click here.