Since the Modern Love podcast launched in 2015, it has brought listeners into the private lives of people grappling with every kind of love story imaginable: bubbly romance, illicit affairs, familial heartache and triumph, unshakable platonic bonds and the hard fought road to self discovery. Inspired by the essays published weekly in The New York Times Modern Love column, the podcast brings these complex personal narratives to life through highly crafted interviews and storytelling.
We’re seeking a seasoned audio editor to lead the Modern Love team, set the show’s editorial ambition and define the sound of the show. This person should be energized by the opportunity to tell love stories in all their mess and complexity, and to take a written essay and transform it into an artful audio story. This person will be focused on shaping and structuring the episodes, working closely with the host and managing the production team. The right candidate is a curious, creative thinker who is excited to build and evolve the show, and who thrives in a collaborative, deadline-driven environment.
Department Overview & Responsibilities:
- Edit episodes, with an eye toward story selection, framing and structure.
- Work with the Executive Producer to set editorial agendas and goals for the show.
- Work with production teams to cast, pre-interview and book guests.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with Times journalists and desk heads for potential or continuing involvement with the show.
- Manage a team of producers, guiding and supporting their growth, assessing their performance and providing feedback.
- Work closely with the host in the studio.
- Help guide the prep process, edits preps and scripts in collaboration with host and producers.
- In collaboration with the production and composer teams, maintain a music library and approach to scoring that elevates each episode.
- Ensure that the producers get the best ‘reads’ for the Modern Love essay readings, and discern how those reads are incorporated into the structure and flow of the episode.
- At least 7+ years experience in audio production, including at least 2 as an editor.
- Experience overseeing soup-to-nuts audio production.
- Highly skilled at every aspect of editing — from structuring an episode, pacing and line editing to noting the stray breath that should be cut and the piece of music that comes in one beat too late.
- Communicate notes and feedback clearly and compassionately.
- Able to think creatively about how to make smart audio shows that will get listeners hooked.
- Proven ability to foster an inclusive, diverse and innovative environment.
- Collaborative spirit is a must.
- Believes in The New York Times’ mission and is dedicated to being a part of our innovation and growth.
- Able to uphold the editorial standards of The Times.
- Experience managing teams.
- Experience in quick turn around productions, including daily shows.
- Experience in show development or creative direction.
The annual base pay range for this role is between $118,000.00 and $128,000.00.
For further details click here.