Wirecutter is looking for an experienced manager to lead social media strategy and production, as well as community engagement across channels. This is a collaborative role that demands creativity to the max, a knack for smart-and-engaging storytelling, a keen eye for trends and accuracy, and a clear perspective on where Wirecutter can and should fit in all of that on social.
As manager, you will report to Wirecutter’s director of audience development and be a key leader on the audience team. You’ll oversee a team of strategists and work with partners across the company to grow and engage Wirecutter’s audience through social channels, and develop a deeper relationship with our readers on-site and on social—all while supporting our mission of providing high-quality journalism.
Wirecutter’s social channels aim to delight and inform, providing readers with everything from shopping and cleaning advice to the best deals on Wirecutter-approved picks. And they introduce Wirecutter to new audiences through compelling content and must-follow series. And that’s just the start! If you love audience engagement, social storytelling, and data-driven strategy development, this role is for you. This role is a New York-based hybrid position.
- Lead Wirecutter’s social presence and reader relationships on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, and other emerging platforms with a goal of converting new audiences into loyal followers and building strong relationships with readers
- Lead all production of social content—from ideation to distribution to analysis—developing efficient workflows, calendars, and cross-team collaboration
- Co-develop franchises in partnership with other audience managers that drive followers to tune in, react, and share
- Partner with our Social Video Manager to build a video strategy that drives engagement and growth on social
- Work with Wirecutter journalists to plan seasonal and event-based content, and identify coverage areas with high audience interest
- Evangelize best practices to the Audience and larger Editorial teams, inspiring collaboration and contributions
- Coordinate a diverse team of editors to contribute to social, ensuring a range of perspectives is represented
- Support the development of creative brand guidelines
- Collaborate with New York Times teams and other partners to increase the reach of Wirecutter’s journalism
- Partner with the data team to create robust reporting; share actionable insights on off-platform performance and best practices to stakeholders across the company
- Engage with Wirecutter’s followers off-platform, promoting an organic dialogue and reporting out on feedback trends
- Gather, synthesize, and share reader feedback on high-priority areas of focus for Wirecutter’s editorial team and business initiatives
- Lead management of social and community publishing and listening tools
- Serve as the people manager for the social and community team—hiring, performance-managing, nurturing individual and team growth
- Perform related work as assigned that drives audience engagement and growth
- Minimum 8 years of experience working in an audience development role for a brand or major media outlet
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a people management role
- Proven experience growing social accounts, and deep understanding of what content and formats work on different platforms
- Proficient in analytics and social listening tools like Chartbeat, Facebook Insights, Sprout Social, and other comparable tools
- Deep understanding of experimentation and iteration to find what resonates with various audiences
- Excellent editorial judgment, with your finger on the pulse of trends and what people are talking about online
- Passion for The New York Times’s and Wirecutter’s mission and commitment to be a part of our innovation and growth
Salary: The annual base pay range for this role is between $120,000.00 and $135,000.00.
For more details click here.