Our Associate Editor for search engine optimization (S.E.O) maintains The Times’s visibility on the biggest news stories of the day and our priority evergreen stories and sections. Based in New York and reporting to the head of Editorial Search, you will provide search optimization recommendations for the day’s most important stories and when they are not tracking and updating stories we have selected for focus, look ahead to upcoming and anticipated news events.
You are also responsible for scaling SEO strategy and tactics to the broader newsroom. You will do this by monitoring tool usage in the newsroom, contributing to regularly scheduled SEO training sessions, and doing periodic analysis into the SEO tactics of news and features desks.
- Attend news meetings and suggest 5-10 stories each day for close monitoring, updating, and other tactical optimizations (headline changes, story updates, image optimization)
- Alert editors in the newsroom to won and lost ranking and follow up to ensure they are actioned
- Keyword research, selection and communication for the day’s top stories and for tentpole events and evergreen sections
- Partner with editors on Live journalism strategies and realtime optimization on breaking news
- Support the larger search team in delivering SEO training sessions to newsroom editors and review and make suggestions for improved training from our Newsroom Development and Support team
- Provide monthly reporting on our search performance in Google News carousels, Google News and desktop search results
- Benchmark our performance against competitors
- At least 3 years of audience, SEO or digital journalism experience
- Knowledge of the search engine industry, best practices for news search and knowledge of search engine algorithms
- Experience using Google Search Console and other industry-leading SEO tools
- Experience working closely with editors and reporters
- You must obsess over news, understand the landscape of the Web and be committed to interpreting and responding to data.
- You will be collaborative and able to partner with colleagues in the newsroom, strategy, product, data, marketing and beyond.
The annual base pay range for this role is between $86,000.00 and $100,000.00.
For further information click here.