Times Opinion is looking for an Assistant Editor to lead a team of editors covering Africa, Asia, Europe And Latin America for the section. The candidate will have deep expertise in the biggest global questions, ideas and arguments of the day, including the war in Ukraine, shifting power dynamics in Asia, the future of authoritarianism, far-right movements in Europe, the political shifts in Latin America, the post-War on Terror environment and the great power competition with China and Russia. A perspective on U.S. national security and military issues is also a must.
This is a senior leadership role in Opinion that requires experience in commissioning and editing opinion journalism about the world for a wide audience. This editor will lead a team of journalists that work on both breaking news and longer-term projects. A rolodex of big thinkers and accomplished writers is a must. The ideal candidate will be comfortable editing pieces by anyone from lawmakers, and academics to investigative journalists and career civil servants. They should feel comfortable handling sensitive pieces by public officials and leaders in national security and intelligence. We’re looking for someone who feels comfortable digging into academic studies and analyzing policy and can then work with writers to produce clear, cogent arguments for Times readers in the U.S. and around the world.
As part of the editorial leadership of Times Opinion, this editor will help shape our overall strategy and find new ways to deepen our engagement with Times readers and find new audiences for our work. This editor will work collaboratively across the department with the special projects, design, graphics, audio and video teams to develop storytelling that’s urgent and accessible.
This editor will be based in N.Y. or D.C. and will oversee a team and work with writers who operate in different time zones all over the world.
- Defining the vision, audience and priorities for Times Opinion’s global and national security coverage.
- Commissioning and editing smart, forward-thinking Op-Eds, from experts, policymakers, journalists and others, that advance the debate and anticipate and react to news.
- Collaborating with other editors on the vision, audience and priorities for Times Opinion’s coverage of national security and foreign policy.
- Working across the Opinion department with editors who cover a range of issues that include politics, international affairs and cultural events.
- Developing a network of outside writers, including the most prominent people on this beat, while cultivating new voices on the biggest news and ideas.
- Finding fresh angles into the stories most on readers’ minds, about which they are most curious.
- Coordinating with the audience team to maximize the reach and impact of the work.
- Regularly developing, pitching and helping execute high-impact enterprise pieces, including collaboration with multimedia teams — design, photo, graphics, audio and video — on how to best tell these stories.
- Cultivating and maintaining a network of contributing writers.
- Continually assessing and calibrating the journalism your team publishes, considering news value, the range and diversity of writers and the tension between productivity versus impact and influence.
- Managing editors and writers as their coach and advocate.
- Reading, reviewing, and promptly responding to unsolicited submissions.
Experience And Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience managing journalists in a digital or daily publication
- At least 5 years of experience working with and editing staff or contributing writers
- Experience covering U.S. national security and foreign policy.
- Excellent news judgment, sharp editing skills
- An enterprise mindset – open to collaboration and innovation
- Experience leading teams and supporting culture
The annual base pay range for this role is between $140,000.00 and $150,000.00.
For more details click here.