The New York Times is looking for an ambitious and creative candidate to join its Social Visuals team as a Video Journalist to focus on short-form vertical video production. You will find visual opportunities to showcase The Times’s journalism, primarily through on-camera opportunities for reporters and editors. We’re looking for someone who can contribute to the team’s ambitions to amplify The Times’s journalism strategically and seamlessly between a range of social platforms as well as find a place on our platform.
This role requires versatility to work on daily news, features, enterprise and investigative projects. The ability to coordinate with journalists on our visual teams including colleagues on graphics and design is essential and understanding our editorial priorities is crucial. In addition, part of the role will be to experiment with formats, maintain a focus on speed for news, build a regular publishing cadence, and optimize workflows.
Expertise with visual storytelling is required, including experience writing and editing for narration and social copy, video, audio and photo editing. All candidates must possess a portfolio demonstrating strong work with a solid understanding of modern social visual storytelling. Candidates will be expected to be quick learners with creative ideas and have the proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Work with a team of social media and audience producers to execute visual content off and on platform
- Collaborate with newsroom colleagues on various desks to generate social media visuals and publishing elements for a wide range of stories
- Making and publishing short form vertical videos and tap stories
- Visual storytelling in card form with various media assets
- Text writing, script writing, wordsmithing and copy editing
- Facility in using photo, video, graphics and animation in storytelling
- Video and audio editing
- Experiment with different forms of vertical and mobile visual storytelling
- Collaborate with visual editors to come up with social formats that align with Graphics, Video, Photo and Design teams’ goals and strategy.
- 4+ years of multimedia storytelling, video editing and production experience at a news organization
- Demonstrated ability to create presentations that intelligently incorporate audio, video, still images and text.
- Strong skills with Adobe Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects
- Visual design skills including a clear grasp of typography, layout, color, motion, and behavior
- News judgment and proven ability to work with colleagues and reporters to synthesize newsgathering and/or investigations into a tight, informative and engaging video.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to adapt to change in a daily, unpredictable news production environment
- Experience working collaboratively with members of a mixed-media team.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule
- Must be able to make quick decisions under deadlines and a high-pressure newsroom environment.
Enthusiasm for shaping great stories that engage a broad social New York Times audience is essential. Original, flexible, critical thinkers who communicate and collaborate well with a wide range of contributors will thrive.
Applications without links to portfolios/work samples will not be considered.
This is a full time position. Current expectation is 4 days / 35 hours a week and weekends.
This position is represented by the NewsGuild of NY.
The annual base pay salary for this role is between $108,872.22 and $118,000.00.
For further information click here.