The New York Times is looking for an ambitious and creative candidate to join its visual teams as a Video Journalist focused on creating content for social media. As the Times continues to produce and showcase visual journalism, we’re looking for someone to contribute to a variety of social media platforms. You will contribute visual storytelling and production for the @nytimes accounts.
This role requires versatility to work on daily news, features, enterprise and investigative projects. As a result, coordinating with journalists on our visual teams is essential and understanding our editorial priorities is crucial. In addition, part of the role will be to experiment with formats, maintain a focus on speed for news, build a regular publishing cadence, and optimize workflows.
Expertise with visual storytelling is required, including experience writing and editing for narration and social copy, video and audio editing, photo editing, design and graphics. All candidates must possess a portfolio demonstrating strong work with a solid understanding of modern social visual storytelling. Candidates will be expected to be quick learners with creative ideas and have the proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Making and publishing short form vertical videos and tap stories.
- Visual storytelling in card form with various media assets
- Text writing, wordsmithing and copy editing
- Facility in using photo, video, graphics and animation in storytelling
- Video and audio editing
- Animation and motion graphics design
- Demonstrating excellent news judgment
- Work with a team of 2-3 audience producers to execute visual content off platform; this would include breaking news, features and series, and our investigative news
- In breaking news moments and during live events, produce video clips and graphics formats
- Social media platform expertise, coordinate with the social team and social editors to effectively program social content
- Experiment with different forms of vertical and mobile visual storytelling. Collaborate with visual editors to come up with social formats that align with Graphics, Video, Photo and Design
- Collaborate to create playbooks and visual style guides for new video-first formats
- 4+ years of multimedia storytelling, video editing and production experience.
- Demonstrated ability to create presentations that intelligently incorporate audio, video, still images and text.
- Strong skills with Adobe Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects
- Visual design skills — a clear grasp of typography, layout, color, motion, and behavior.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to adapt to change in a daily, unpredictable news production environment.
- Experience working collaboratively with members of a mixed-media team.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include nights and weekends.
- Must be able to make quick decisions under deadlines and a high-pressure newsroom environment.
- Newsroom experience preferred, not required.
Enthusiasm for shaping great stories that engage a broad social New York Times audience is essential. Original, flexible, critical thinkers who communicate and collaborate well with a wide range of contributors will thrive.
Applications without links to portfolios/work samples will not be considered.
The annual base pay range for this role is 104,684.83 to 118,000.00.
For more details click here.