Wirecutter is seeking a staff writer to cover products and advice for pets. The staff writer will update our existing pet gear reviews, as well as expand our coverage, building a comprehensive suite of recommendations for cats, dogs, and other animals.
As a staff writer, you will report directly to a supervising editor, working on a small team. This role has the potential to be remote.
- Research, report, and write long form guides and short form posts on your beat
- Collaborate with editors and other writers to create test plans, make pick recommendations, and move ideas from pitch to publish
- Work with animals and their caretakers for hands-on testing of products to evaluate performance
- Immerse yourself in the retail landscape of pet products, evaluating (and contacting) sources like Chewy, Petsmart, and Costco
- Develop and maintain a diverse network of sources including veterinarians, pet groomers, and product managers
- Attend industry trade shows as needed to build contacts and expertise
- Work with our audience team to respond to reader feedback and questions
- Work with our affiliate team to resolve stock issues on recommendations
- Work with our operations team on product orders and testing plans
- Represent Wirecutter’s pet coverage in the media
- Perform related work as assigned
- At least 5+ years of experience writing professionally. We’re looking for an enthusiastic, open-minded reporter. Experience writing in-depth how-to guides is valuable, as is experience covering products or services—especially involving hands-on testing.
- Buyer’s remorse. You’ve felt it, you’ve suffered with it, and now you want to prevent it.
- Must love animals and spreadsheets
- Must have a pet (or several)
Please include your résumé/CV, a cover letter, and any writing samples you may want to submit with your application.
For more details click here.