We are looking for an editor with experience in journalism and managing social accounts with attention to different global audiences to join our team in Seoul.
You will establish a vision for shaping and targeting our journalism for different platforms, and you will be responsible for understanding and developing new strategies, tools and workflows as those platforms evolve. Engaging our readers, monitoring on-site and off-platform conversations for story ideas and integrating readers’ contributions into our daily and enterprise report is essential.
You will also work with reporters and editors across the newsroom on how social media and readers’ voices can inform our journalism, both pre- and post-publishing.
As a Social Editor you will also work with our Seoul newsroom to come up with audience plans, signal social opportunities and create off-platform presentations of our journalism in the form of quote cards, native videos, etc.
This role will report to the deputy audience editor based in London.
- Leading The Times’s main presence on Twitter, Facebook, etc: providing coverage of breaking news and live events, conceiving and executing innovative social plans for enterprise projects and engaging readers in audience-driven projects
- Developing and refining the voice of The Times on all of our off-platform channels, exhibiting excellent news judgment and audience-sensitive framing
- Building creative social native content (e.g., visual cards)
- Suggesting story ideas, and partnering with desks across the newsroom in Seoul to produce stories that:
- Anticipate readers’ prospective social and search needs sparked by a Times exclusive or a news event
- Respond to readers’ real-time social and search needs
- Developing testing strategies around medium (images, video) and message (headline, social share text) to inform a constantly updating set of best practices for engaging off-platform audiences (Social, Search, etc.)
- Partner with editors to workshop on-platform framing of articles that leverages off-platform performance and readers’ interest
- Interpret data and signals to know what pieces are the right fit for what audiences want both on and off our platforms
- Work with journalists in the newsroom on best social media practices, including framing pieces for specific audiences
Our ideal candidate:
- Proven experience in social media or digital journalism for a news organization
- Excellent news and editorial judgment
- Deep understanding of all mainstream and some emerging social channels
- Consistent record running Facebook and Twitter accounts for major news outlets
- Demonstrated interest in visual storytelling
- A passion for news and a dedication to The Times and its journalistic mission
- Strong writing and editing skills, and knowledge of Times style or the ability to absorb and apply it quickly
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with how to use data to make editorial decisions
For more details click here.