The Senior Staff Editor for Well will work with the desk head and deputy desk head to conceive, assign, and edit ambitious and topical journalism about fitness and other wellness topics. You are someone who is well organized and highly skilled at editing a variety of story forms, including service journalism, feature stories, personal narratives, enterprise, profiles and news. Most importantly, you have a background and interest in science-based health and lifestyle reporting, and have a vision for how our coverage can be of service to our readers. You will work closely with staff reporters as well as develop a stable of trusted freelance writers.
This role requires precision, attention to detail, understanding of deadlines, the ability to lead a project, and to work with a team. It also requires creativity. In this role, you will regularly work independently and exercise a significant degree of news judgment and editorial discretion. Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Assigning, shaping and editing several stories a week
- Working closely with staff and freelance reporters to develop first in class stories about fitness and wellness
- Conceiving fresh story ideas
- Working with Staff Editors to write engaging headlines, captions and social media posts
- Collaborating with photo editors on assignments and working with art directors to create illustrations
- Working with the desk head and deputy desk head to help plan and execute ambitious projects and features
- Fostering a highly experimental and collaborative culture that also meets The Times’s editorial standards.
- Developing stories that include a wide range of voices
- In partnership with the desk head, participating in the development of coverage strategy.
- May be responsible for supervising other journalists.
- 7 + years as a digital lifestyle and/or health editor
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Proven track record of producing first in class health and/or lifestyle journalism
- Skilled at working with reporters and contributors from story development to publication
- Passionate about health, wellness and service journalism
- Significant editing experience, including deep understanding of digital publishing
- Experience supervising journalists
This position is represented by the NewsGuild of NY.
The annual base pay salary for this role is between $120,126.82 and $125,000.00.
For further details click here.