The Well desk offers science-based guidance on a range of topics including mental and physical health, family, relationships and wellness trends. The Senior Editor will work with the desk head and deputy editor to lead coverage, manage people, and conceive, assign and edit ambitious and topical journalism. You have a background and/or strong interest in science-based health and lifestyle reporting, and a vision for how our coverage can help our readers. We are looking for someone with razor-sharp instincts for story selection, a love of guiding and helping others be the best they can be, and an innate sense of how to set priorities for coverage in a dynamic news environment. The Senior Editor will help manage day-to-day scheduling and long-term planning—and will play a critical role in pursuing and maintaining the desk’s ambitious reporting and growth targets.
- Edit and oversee some of our most complex stories and projects, including investigations, enterprise, challenges, and reader-driven stories
- In partnership with the desk head and deputy, lead and shape coverage for the desk; manage Well’s editorial calendar, lead team brainstorms, and follow up on ideas
- Assign and edit several stories each week
- Manage a small team of editors and reporters; accountable for success and development of direct reports
- Maintain relationships with a few freelance writers; field and assign pitches
- Generate innovative story ideas and frame stories in a fresh way
- Collaborate with art and design on photo, illustration and interactive plans
- Plan, execute or contribute to large packages and storylines throughout the year
- Collaborate with desk head, team members and other desks to shape the daily report
- Act as a liaison between Well and the larger newsroom, clearly communicating the desk’s plans to other stakeholders
- Decide which Well stories will run in print (Science Times) each week and be the main point of contact for all print-related matters
- Minimum 10 years experience
- Strong managerial skills
- Demonstrated ability to edit on all levels and to pivot as necessary
- Thorough knowledge of Times standards and style and an understanding of how to apply them
- Experience editing a variety of story forms, including service journalism, feature stories, enterprise, profiles and news
- Familiarity with our digital platforms and an openness to learning more
- A minimum of 10 years of experience writing about or editing health coverage.
The annual base pay range for this role is between $140,000.00 and $160,000.00.
For further details click here.