The Ezra Klein Show is hiring a researcher. You are an information omnivore, with a grounding in politics, policy, and economics, who is passionate about the podcast, gets excited about big ideas, has strong research abilities, and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. You will be intensely focused on researching and synthesizing the work of guests on the show, as well as preparing questions and conversational approaches for the interview.
- Perform in-depthresearch for interview prep, including reading books, articles and academic papers and conducting reporting calls with sources
- Compileresearch into prep documents that synthesize key themes and suggest possible directions for the interview, including a list of questions
- Listen to episode tapings and suggest additional questions
- Come up with episode ideas, sourcing potential guests and participating in pitch meetings
- Edit transcripts of interviews so that the final episodes are clear and compelling, with a natural conversational flow
- Work with the fact-checker and audio engineer to ensure final episodes are free of errors
- Draft headlines and show copy for the Times site and podcast platforms
- 3+ years of experience in aresearch-focused role in a profession like journalism, academia, politics, or think tank preferred
- Deep familiarity with The Ezra Klein Show
- Intellectual omnivore with deep knowledge of subjects the show covers, especially politics and policy, and curiosity to explore other topics
- Adept with sifting through and synthesizing large troves of information
- A sharp editorial sense about who would be a good guest, and the kinds of topics, angles, and questions that will be interesting to listeners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative spirit is a must
- Experience compiling research
- Familiarity with writing for the voice
- Comfortable taking and giving feedback
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced production environment
To apply, please submit a cover letter with an explanation of why you’re a good fit for the role, and three recommendations for guests we should have on the show (Note: We aren’t looking for the most well-known people, like Elon Musk or Joe Biden. We’re looking for people who are interesting and might not be on the show’s current radar.)
Note: No applications will be considered without a cover letter.
This position is represented by the NewsGuild of NY.
The annual base pay salary for this role is between $93,531.88 and $95,000.00.
For more information click here.