Well is looking for a creative and ambitious reporter to produce outstanding service and enterprise journalism that will help Times readers live healthier lives. The Well desk offers science-based guidance on a range of topics including mental and physical health, family and relationships. In this role, you will write several in-depth and heavily-researched service pieces per month to help readers make decisions about their own health. Your primary beats will be nutrition and sleep, but you should feel comfortable covering fitness, aging and chronic conditions as well. In addition to traditional service and reported articles, your stories may be formatted as explainers, visual pieces, reported features and profiles.
You should be able to connect the dots and spot trends before our competitors get to them. You should know how to read studies, talk to researchers and summarize findings for a lay audience. And you should be eager to experiment and to engage with readers via various platforms. You should have tons of ideas, a track record of breaking news, and the desire to be the go-to source for a health-obsessed audience.
This role requires precision, attention to detail, understanding of deadlines, and the ability to work with a team, including close partnerships with editors on the desk.
- Monitoring the latest health news and trends related to nutrition and sleep
- Conceiving of fresh and compelling story ideas
- Collaborating with visual editors on assignments
- Adhering to The Times’s editorial standards
- Developing stories that include a wide range of voices and perspectives
- Being an idea machine
- 6 + years as a digital health reporter
- Experience in a news organization
- Proven track record of producing best in class health journalism
- Passionate about health, wellness and service journalism
- Well-organized and highly skilled in reporting and writing for a variety of story forms
- Experience covering nutrition and/or sleep is a plus.
The annual base pay range for this role is between $104,684.83 and $125,000.00
For further details click here.