The International Desk is looking for a talented, experienced and versatile reporter / researcher to join our Tokyo bureau. In this role, you will be responsible for working with beat reporters and story editors to encourage and contribute to new story forms as well as producing original work. You will help with fixing and organizing interviews, researching themes, data and other information, and sourcing. You will play a critical role in supporting the bureau chief and correspondents, in tracking and covering news and enterprise stories across the region, helping to grow the audience and pursuing investigations.
In the job, you will contribute to coverage of politics, culture, climate change, security, migration and international relations, among other topics, and you may be asked to help with breaking news, enterprise, investigations and innovative story forms. This is a chance to join a collegial, committed and talented team of correspondents and editors that has a history of award-winning work, an eagerness to experiment with new and developing story forms, and a passion for bringing Times journalism to a truly global audience.
Our ideal candidate has excellent organizational and communication skills and enjoys solving difficult logistical problems in high-speed environments. This is a job for someone who thrives in a varied and challenging environment, and can stay sharp and organized under pressure.
Curiosity, skepticism, accuracy and attention to detail are a must, as is an ability to write clearly and concisely in English. This is a full-time, paid position.
The Reporter/Researcher will have a broad range of responsibilities, including:
- Finding, contacting and arranging or conducting interviews with sources and compiling research memos.
- Working closely with correspondents and editors to identify, research and contribute to news and enterprise stories, as well as suggesting story ideas and themes.
- Assisting reporters in the field, including with translation.
- Monitoring current events across local media, especially in news, and provide updates and briefings for our correspondents and editors.
- Contributing to Live coverage when needed.
- Cover news accurately and efficiently, for any and all media; maintaining and cultivating news sources and contacts.
- Presenting facts and analysis in clear written or other form and in conformity with style, length and other requirements, and developing high-impact front-page stories from the broader themes that underpin incremental news developments.
- Obtaining, reading and analyzing corporate, legal and government filings and reports.
- Work with the audience team to gather insights on local readers and how we can better engage with them
- Filing expenses and paying freelancers.
- Obtaining and managing newsroom equipment and tools, including office supplies, safety equipment and communication tools like internet, cell phones, SIM cards and satellite phones.
- Arranging safe travel for correspondents, obtaining flights, drivers, lodging and local currency, often at the last minute, often to difficult-to-reach places.
- Assisting correspondents in obtaining visas and travel permits, often at the last minute, often in challenging circumstances.
- Requesting and obtaining access in difficult-to-reach locations or with difficult to access people..
- Provide translation to correspondents and editors as needed.
- Performing other journalistic duties as determined by supervisors.
- Fluent English and Japanese, written and spoken.
- Meticulous organizational skills; ability to prioritize with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- A strong, demonstrable passion for journalism.
- Shows initiative and independence; identifies and tackles tasks that need completion, without instruction.
- A good collaborator and receptive to feedback.
- Ability to deal with all levels of management, staff and sources in a highly professional manner.
- Professional judgment with respect to confidentiality is a must.
- Deep knowledge and ability to expand learning of the politics and culture of Japan.
- An appreciation of The Times culture, writing style and commitment to journalistic standards and ethics.
- Good general computer and tech skills are a must, including experience with Google Docs, Excel, email and video chat programs.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
Please provide a résumé, along with a cover letter that explains what makes you the best candidate for the job.
For further details click here.