The New York Times is looking for a versatile editor to run our coverage of consumer companies and to edit enterprise and feature stories for the Business section.
This is a multifaceted role: This editor will run a small team that covers everything from shifting consumer behavior to important developments among big retailers and consumer brands. The editor will also work with a handful of reporters on articles that stand out for their unique perspective and compelling storytelling.
They will need to be able to spot important and urgent news of the day and also be able to shape coverage of the biggest issues in an industry that most readers directly encounter every day, whether they are shopping at Target or Shein, employed by Walmart, or curious about Nike’s latest sponsorship deal.
We’re looking for someone with sharp editorial judgment who can work with reporters who have a wide range of experience on the beat — serving as a coach, manager and guide in a constantly changing news environment. This editor should be as comfortable assigning and editing a short story aimed for our live briefing on news of the day as they are editing a 2,000 word feature for the Sunday Business section.
This position is based in New York.
- Overseeing coverage of consumer companies, spending, and the retail and fast food industries.
- Managing reporting projects, and serving as first editor for long-form stories on a wide variety of topics.
- Managing a small team of reporters to produce news and enterprise.
- Deep knowledge of business topics ranging from media to tech to the economy
- 10+ years of experience in journalism as a reporter and editor.
- Proven experience editing long-form journalism — at a newspaper or magazine.
- A willingness to collaborate, and the ability to partner with colleagues across the Business section and the rest of The New York Times newsroom.
- A dedication to The Times and its journalistic mission
- Digital-media savvy.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Managerial experience
The annual base pay salary for this role is between $170,000.00 and $200,000.00.
For further details click here.