The New York Times Opinion section is seeking an editorial assistant to support a few columnists. This is a temporary assignment for six months. The job, which will be based in New York, is a great opportunity for someone who is organized, digitally savvy and has broad-ranging news interests, with a special curiosity about the broad topics around politics, religion, culture and national and international affairs.
The editorial assistant should have a sharp eye for detail; a strong sense of fresh arguments and good writing; superb research skills; a devotion to the highest standards of accuracy, precision and verification; the ability to dive into unfamiliar material on deadline; discretion in handling sensitive editorial material; familiarity with various social media platforms; and a strong interest in opinion journalism. Collegiality and diplomacy are essential.
This candidate will perform functions that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Keep abreast of the news in the areas of coverage and suggest ideas for columns
- Conduct research for the columnists
- Verify the accuracy of the information contained in draft columns and occasional guest essays, and write summaries as necessary
- Post on various social media platforms and collaborate with Opinion Audience team on deepening relationships with readers
- See the column(s) through all stages of the publishing process
- Some clerical duties
- At least 1 year of experience in journalism, conducting research and fact-checking and/or text editing for published media strongly preferred
- Must be able to occasionally work weekends (2-3 hours) and evenings as column schedules or news cycle determine
- Knowledge of Opinion’s columnist roster and frequent contributors to the section
- Familiarity with Times Style and the newspaper’s standards and ethics guidelines
- An appreciation for Opinion journalism and understanding of the broader media landscape
The annual base pay range for this role is between $77,808.68 and $78,000.00
For more details click here.