The New York Daily News is looking to hire a versatile print production and news editor
(Content Editor) who can shape the News’ award-winning content into a high-impact
presentation every day.
This editing position, which will include both news and sports, will be responsible for preparing articles, photos and designs for publication in the Daily News; copy editing stories, designing eye-catching pages and writing headlines and captions for both news and sports stories.
This position will also, at times, handle production for the Daily News’ digital platforms.
The perfect candidate will possess good news judgment, attention to detail, impressive
organizational skills and a commitment to accuracy. Print production editors must be able to multitask and perform well under constant deadlines with minimal-to-moderate supervision in a remote work environment. Experience with Adobe InDesign is essential, as is a strong command of the English language and editing and design skills. An understanding of the major sports franchises in New York City is also a plus.
- Editing copy and designing print newspaper pages with an eye toward accuracy and readability, checking for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy in high impact elements; proofreading others work; and writing headlines, captions and refers
- Working directly with reporters and editors to resolve open questions and issues.
At times, managing comand related digital products. This will include making smart, data-driven decisions on story promotion, inclusion and emphasis across all platforms, from sites to apps to email newsletters to social to alerts.
- Editing articles and graphics for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy; proofreading others’ work; and writing headlines, captions and blurbs.
- Designing pages using the Daily News’ content management system and outside software such as InDesign, Photoshop, Intellitune and Illustrator.
- Employing creativity to present all information in easy-to-read, visually appealing, informative and energetic design.
- Meeting production deadlines and maintaining ideal page flow under minimal to moderate supervision.
- Employing creativity and independent news judgment to text editing, designing, photo editing, and otherwise preparing work for publication.
- Striving to meet specific individual goals to be assigned on a regular basis by supervisor.
Basic Foundation Skills:
- A minimum of one-year editing and design experience at a news publication, and a solid
understanding of design basics.
- Excellent knowledge of AP Style.
- Experience writing strong, accurate print headlines.
- Strong organizational skills and news judgment.
- Ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced deadline-driven remote environment.
- Ability to foster excellent communication and collaboration with peers, supervisor(s),
department and newsrooms.
- Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation. Ability to write and edit
accurately with clarity, without bias.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
Salary Range: $57,500-$67,500
For further information click here.