The Nevada Independent seeks a news reporter with a strong research and writing background to help cover environmental and energy issues across the state.
The reporter in this position will have leeway to cover an array of topics, including water, energy, utilities, conservation, wildlife, agriculture, mining, extreme heat and environmental injustices. We are looking for a reporter interested in exploring these issues from a variety of perspectives and how they intersect with other issues, including public health, infrastructure and education.
You would be joining a collaborative team in a diverse state that offers outdoor recreation opportunities, ample entertainment and professional sports options and a thriving food scene. Our collaborative newsroom affords reporters the opportunity to help make decisions on a wide range of topics — so curiosity, flexibility and a zest for variety is ideal.
- Pitch, report and write stories that contribute to The Nevada Independent’s coverage with daily news stories, short-term features and longer-term project-based reporting.
- Develop sources and an understanding of environmental issues across Nevada to tell deep, contextual stories about the dynamics and decisions at play through explanatory, accountability-driven reporting, elevating voices that might not otherwise be heard.
- Communicate with and work alongside photojournalists to help bring environmental stories to life. Work with our audience engagement manager, multimedia editor and video producer to ensure maximum visibility for your in-depth environmental journalism.
- Write a bi-monthly newsletter.
- Three-plus years’ experience, preferably writing about environmental issues.
- Strong research and writing skills are a must.
- Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus.
- Must reside in or be willing to move to Nevada — with a slight preference for candidates who can be based out of Southern Nevada.
COMPENSATION: Compensation is commensurate with experience. The expected salary range is between $60,000 and $70,000.
For more details click here.