The Modesto Bee is looking for an energetic, versatile journalist who thrives on fast-paced breaking news and can quickly and accurately report live stories using video, social and other digital tools.
As a breaking reporter, you will cover daily stories that are relevant to Stanislaus County readers, including in the areas of crime, safety, transportation and weather events. You’ll also tackle trending stories, and develop strong follow-ups that enlighten and engage readers.
The importance of headlines, SEO, and lead images and video cannot be underestimated. The reporter must understand how to grow readership in the digital space, using analytics tools such as Chartbeat or Parse.ly, and make adjustments accordingly. Monitoring your story’s performance is a must.
The reporter will be based in the Modesto Bee newsroom but can and should spend as much time in the field as she/he does in the office. You will report to our managing editor and will work variable shifts.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or relevant field
- At least two years of professional journalism experience
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment
- Demonstrated ability to use social media platforms to reach and engage with audiences
- Demonstrated ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms, including capturing and editing video and data/graphics
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and technologies, including content management systems; social media platforms; video editing software; analytics tools; and emerging storytelling tools and platforms
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Written and spoken Spanish language fluency a plus