The Mercury News and East Bay Times, the two daily papers under the Bay Area News Group, are looking for a part-time sports clerk who can help serve our audience with regularly scheduled high school content – round-ups, schedules, scores listings, etc. This person will also compile our weekly hole-in-one Bay Area golf listings. This is a good fit for a sports journalism college student eager to enter into the business. The hours are flexible but will change based on the preps season. A candidate with good reporting/writing skills will be deployed to cover occasional prep games.
- Assist the high school sports editor to compile Bay Area prep scores and schedules for a weekly round-up.
- Compile weekly golf hole-in-one listings as reported from Bay Area golf courses.
- Assist print production personnel by compiling/formatting the daily Sports TV listings 3 times a week.
- Regularly work nights and weekends.
- Cover prep games periodically.
Competencies & Skills
- Knowledge of multiple prep sports, specifically football, basketball, volleyball, baseball and softball.
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines
- Self-starter and highly organized
- Good communication skills – Ability to speak with readers by phone and email
- Knowledge of AP style
Email your cover letter, resume and a few clips or writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Sports Clerk” in your subject line.
For further information click here.