The Los Angeles Times is looking for a passionate, creative and collaborative journalist to join its Data and Graphics Department.
- A minimum of three years of journalism experience
- Ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisors and the newsroom
- Proven ability to juggle multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment
- Strong news judgment, fluency in style and deep knowledge of taste and legal considerations
- Ability to navigate digital platforms and stay on top of current events
- Understanding of the importance of accuracy and precision
- An ethical and inclusive approach in the workplace that promotes collaboration
- Comfortable appearing on TV and radio on behalf of the L.A. Times
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate some of the following qualifications:
- Experience conceiving and developing data-driven, visual or interactive work for the general public
- Well-versed in the fundamentals of front-end computer programming, data visualization, news design and digital storytelling
- Experience sketching and pitching visual ideas
- Confident working in a small team of their peers on tough deadlines
- Comfortable wrangling large data sets
- A track record building interactive news elements, including but not limited to dynamic graphics, bespoke builds, games and database-backed applications
Qualified applicants should send a resume, cover letter and work samples to Data and Graphics Director Hanna Sender. Please note, the opportunity to attach additional documents appears on the third screen and is labeled “Upload.”
Cover letters should introduce the team to your best work and demonstrate a specialized skill you would bring, such as data analysis, 3D modeling or illustration. We also ask that you provide a short summary of the role you played in creating each work sample.
This position is classified as a Graphics and Data Journalist within the Los Angeles Times Guild and will be based in El Segundo, Calif. Occasional night and weekend work is required.
The pay scale for this position is $72,072 to $104,550.
For more information click here.